If you print paper paychecks to pay your employees, you will need to make sure the checks print correctly on your check stock. If you handwrite checks or pay direct deposit and only need to print pay stubs, you will not need to format a check layout, as the pay stub information can be printed on plain paper and given to your employees. Learn more about pay stubs on our blog.
Also see related articles:
A Primer on Printing Payroll Checks in Patriot Software
How To Reprint a Paystub in Patriot Software
How To Set Your Paycheck Printing Option In Patriot Software
In Patriot Software, you have two options for printing paper checks:
- Use pre-printed check stock that contains your bank account number using MICR ink (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) as required by financial institutions
- Or you can print checks on blank check stock, as long as you use MICR toner in your printer.
Paychecks are printed on one 8 1/2 x 11 page at a time. The checks can be printed with the check either on the top third of the page or the bottom third of the page.
If you use pre-printed checks, you can adjust the location of items printed on your checks, such as name, date, dollars, employee name, check number, etc., so the checks print correctly on your pre-printed check stock. Once you arrange the items, print a sample check to confirm your layout is correct.
To format your printed checks:
- Settings > Payroll Settings > Paycheck Printing Options
- Select your printing method:
- No Printing Needed: If you do not need to print any kind of checks or stubs, due to offering direct deposit services and giving employees their pay stub information electronically through the employee portal, select this option.
- Check Stub Only: If you handwrite your checks or offer direct deposit and do not need to print live checks, choose “Check Stub Only.” You will print your check stubs on blank paper.
- Check On Top: Your checkstock will print one check per page, with the check on the top third of the page.
- Check On Bottom: Your checkstock will print one check per page, with the check on the bottom third of the page.
- Under “Options,” if you use blank check stock with MICR toner, check the box “I need to print my bank account information on blank check stock.” For more information, see How To Print Paychecks Using Blank Check Stock.
- If you would like to print the employee’s name and address directly on the check so it shows through an envelope window for mailing, check the box “I need to print my employee’s name and address on the check.”
- A nudger will appear so you can move this name and address so it properly shows through your envelope window.
- Click the “Print Sample” link. A PDF document will open and display a sample check. You can save the PDF and/or print the sample on your check stock.
To format your checkstub
You can move the placement of your checkstub (the details of the paycheck) so your checks print properly. See the help article How Do I Format the Checkstub on my Paychecks?
To change the display and placement of pre-printed check items
You can move items that appear on the actual check, such as check date, amount, and employee name. See the help article How Do I Format Items on my Paychecks?