Editing or Rejecting Time Cards for Hourly Employees
Hourly employee time can be recorded in one of two ways:
- Entered by the employer through the Manage Time Cards page, or
- Entered by the employee through their employee portal account – see Hourly Employees: Entering My Time Worked
If you will be entering time for salary employees, see Editing Time Cards for Salary Employees.
Note: Only time cards that have not yet been paid can be edited. Paid time cards can no longer be edited.
Sign up for the multiple pay rate functionality for time cards through the form below. We’ll notify you when you’ve been added to the beta release.
To enter or edit time for an hourly employee:
1. Go to Payroll > Time and Attendance Tasks > Manage Time Cards. By default, a list of employee time cards will display for the current pay period alphabetically. Search for a specific employee in the search field. To edit a different pay period, choose the dates from the dropdown menu and click Run Report.
2. Click the employee name to view and make changes to the time card. Each day is shown in columns, and the hours types are shown in rows.
- If the employee is paid weekly, the time card will show a grid for one week.
- If the employee is paid biweekly, the time card will show a grid for two weeks.
- If the employee is paid semi-monthly or monthly, the time card will show all days included in the pay period. Any days of the week outside the pay period will be shown in gray.
3. Enter the times of day the employee started and stopped work in the “In” and “Out” cells. Click inside each cell, and a pop-up time entry window will display. You can click on the hour and minute, or click “Now” for the current time. If you prefer, you can also manually type the hours and minutes in the following format: 9:00[space]AM.
4. Click Add In/Out to add another set of fields for the day. For example, in order to track paid breaks, just add another set of fields, and enter the paid break start time in the “In” field and the stop time in the “Out” field.
5. To add non-worked hours such as vacation or holiday, click “Other Hours.” New rows will appear on the time card. Enter the total daily non-worked hours in the corresponding row. See Adding Non-Worked Hours to Time Cards for set-up instructions.
6. Add any comments, if needed. There is a space at the bottom of the time card to add employer comments about this pay period. Employees using their portal can also add their own comments. Note that your comments will be visible to employees.
7. Check the “Approve” box when you’re finished entering time for the pay period. This will also automatically save the time card entries. It is not necessary for the employee to approve their own time card.
8. Click Save if you have made changes but have not yet approved the time card.
9. Once you approve the time cards, you are ready to Send Time to Payroll.
If an employee has not completed or approved their time cards, you can “nudge” them to complete their timecard on the employee timecard or the Manage Time Card Page. Payroll > Time and Attendance Tasks > Manage Time Cards. Select the employee name if you want to view the individual timecards.
- To nudge the employee, under the “Approval” section. Select the envelope icon.
- a popup will appear with the default message.
- Click in the box to customize the message.
- Click “Send Nudge.”
- An email will be sent to the employee.
Rejecting Time Cards
You can reject time cards for employees on the employee time card, or on the Manage Time Card Page.
Payroll > Time and Attendance Tasks > Manage Time Cards. Select the employee name if you want to view the individual timecard.
- To reject the employee time card, under the “Approval” section. Select the X to reject the time card.
- A pop-up will appear with the default rejection message.
- Click in the box to customize the message for your employee.
- Click the “Reject Time Card” button.
- An email will be sent to the employee.
Your feedback will not receive a reply. If you have a specific issue, please reach out to our support team here.