Invoicing Your Customers
After you have:
- Added your customers
- Set up your products
- Set up the sales tax rate
- Set up your default payment terms (e.g. Net 30)
You are now ready to create and send invoices to your customers for products or services they purchased from you.
How to create an invoice for a customer
Accounting > Receivables > Invoices. Click the +Create New Invoice link.
- Select the Customer Name. If needed, you can add a new customer here without leaving the invoice by clicking “Add New.”
- The Invoice Number will automatically show the next available number since the last invoice you created. You can change this, if needed.
- The Invoice Date is set to today. Change the date, if needed.
- Enter a Reference number, if needed.
- Select the Payment Term, if needed. This will automatically calculate the invoice due date. See Setting Your Invoice Payment Terms.
- If you have set up departments, select an optional Department. For more details, see Managing Accounting Departments.
- The Due Date is set to today, if you have not selected a Payment Term. Change the date, if needed.
- Select your Product or Service from the dropdown list. If needed, you can add a new product/service here without leaving the invoice by clicking “Add New.” For more info on how to add Products and Services, see Setting Up Products and Services.
- The quantity (Qty) will be set to 1. Change the quantity, if needed.
- The price will automatically display for that product/service, based on your Product or Service list. You can change the price on the invoice, if needed.
- The income account for this product will display. You can change this, if needed. The customer will not see this account when you print the invoice, it is only for your information.
- To add a discount to just this line item, click the “Discount” link. You can also apply a discount to the entire invoice. See Adding Discounts to Your Customer Invoice.
- Add an optional description for the product, if needed. This will appear on the invoice and in reports.
- To add another product or service to the invoice, click Add beneath the row. You can remove a row, if needed.
- If you charge sales tax, the sales tax rate that you entered as the default rate on the Sales Tax Rate screen will be used. If needed, you can add a new sales tax rate on the invoice, and save this rate as your default tax rate for the future. For more info, see Setting Up Sales Tax.
- The invoice total will automatically update with the total amount due.
- Enter an optional invoice comment. This will appear to your customers at the bottom of the invoice.
- If you have Accounting Premium, you can attach electronic files and receipts to this invoice by clicking “Attach File.” See Managing Your Receipts and Documents for details.
- If needed, you can save a draft of this invoice and come back later to finish. Click “Save as Draft.” You will find your invoice drafts under Accounting > Invoices. Select the “Status” box to see drafts.
- Click “Save Invoice.”
You will see an Invoice Detail page confirming that the invoice has been created. From here, you can take actions with this invoice as needed:
- Click “Print” to download and print a PDF version of the invoice. Accounting Premium customers can format the template of the invoice PDF. See Customizing Your Invoice Template.
- Click “Apply Payment” to apply a customer payment to this invoice. For more details, see Receiving a Customer Payment.
- Click “Email” to email this invoice to your customer. For more details, see How to Email an Invoice to Your Customers.
- Click “Void” to void this customer invoice. For more details, see Voiding a Customer Invoice.
- Click “Duplicate” to generate a copy of this invoice. The new invoice will use the next available invoice number.
You can view your recently created invoices and drafts by going to Accounting > Receivables > Invoices.
How to duplicate a customer invoice
If you want to copy information from a past invoice for a new invoice, go to Accounting > Receivables > Invoices.
Here, select a past invoice number and click “Duplicate.” Duplicating the invoice generates a new invoice with prefilled data from the original invoice. Attachments will not be copied over, and the new invoice will use the next available invoice number.
See Managing Your Customer Invoices for more info.
Your feedback will not receive a reply. If you have a specific issue, please reach out to our support team here.