Print Set-Up for Contractor Checks
Background for Contractor Check Printing
If you pay contractors in payroll and print paper checks, you will need to set up the check print layout so that your checks print correctly on your pre-printed check stock. (Note: If you handwrite checks to contractors, there is no need to format a check layout. You can print the check stub on plain paper and give it to your contractor.)
If you also pay vendors in the Accounting software, your contractor check layout settings will also apply to your vendor check layout settings. See Print Set-Up for Vendor Checks for more details.
Pre-Printed or Blank Check Stock
You have two options for printing Vendor checks in Patriot Software:
- Use pre-printed check stock that contains your bank account number using the magnetic ink required by banks.
- Use blank check stock, as long as you use MICR toner in your printer. For more info, see How to Print Contractor or Vendor Checks Using Blank Check Stock.
To print checks for contractors, you will need to use 8 ½” x 11” check stock with the check on top or the bottom.
To format your printed contractor checks:
Go to Settings > Payroll Settings > Paycheck Printing Options
- Click the Paying Contractors tab.
- Select the Check Type. Select Check Stub Only if you handwrite checks or pay with direct deposit. Otherwise, if you’re printing checks, select either check on top or check on bottom.
- Click the “Print Sample” link. A PDF document will open and display a sample check. You can either save the PDF and/or print the sample on your check stock.
To adjust the placement of items:
Click “Layout Adjustments.” The location of each item (check date, dollars, vendor name, etc.) on the check is based on column and row numbers of a grid on the sample check.
To adjust the placement of an item, change the column and row numbers by entering a number, or clicking the arrows. The default position for each item is zero.
- To move an item one gridline to the right, add 10 to the column number.
- To move an item one gridline to the left, subtract 10 from the column number. You can enter negative numbers.
- To move an item one gridline above, add 10 to the row number.
- To move an item one gridline below, subtract 10 from the row number. You can enter negative numbers.
You may need to make several adjustments so the items line up with your check stock, and may print as many sample checks as needed. Once you are satisfied with the location of your check items, click Save. When you pay your contractors, these settings will be used.
Your feedback will not receive a reply. If you have a specific issue, please reach out to our support team here.