Advisors: Managing Multiple Users for Your Clients in Patriot
If you are a Patriot Software Advisor with wholesale pricing or a Franchisor, you may add multiple users to access one or more of your client companies. For more information about adding your client companies, see Managing Your Clients in Patriot Software.
If you are not an Advisor and are a direct customer of Patriot, see this help article Adding and Managing Multiple Users in Patriot.
If you have Accounting Premium, you can also add users and set permissions. See Accounting Premium Customers: Setting User Permissions.
How to Add and Manage Multiple Users as an Advisor
As an Advisor, your Dashboard will show additional options:
Click Manage Users and click “Add New.”
- Enter the user’s email address. Patriot will send an invitation for the user to register.
- Check the box “This user is an employee of my firm” to indicate your staff members. Checking the box will allow your employees to contact Patriot support and receive information on the account.
- Select the companies this user will have permission to access. You can select one, some, or all of your clients, plus your own firm.
- Click “Add User.”
At this point, you will be taken back to the “Manage Users” page. This user’s status will be “Pending” until the user receives their registration email and completes the sign-up process. While they are pending, you can resend or cancel their invitation. User invitations are valid for seven days. After seven days, they will automatically expire. You can resend the invitation, if needed.
The user will receive an email from Support@PatriotSoftware.com with the subject line, “New User Registration for Patriot Software.”
In the email, the user should click the link to finish their registration. The registration page will open. The user will enter their first and last name, and select their own username and password, or use Google Single Sign-On to create their account.
For more information about Google single sign-on (SSO), please check out “Using Google Single Sign-On.”
Once the user has completed their registration, they can now log in and access only the companies you have given them access to administer.
If this user has access to more than one company, the user will see the company switcher at the top of the page. Only companies that they can access will appear in the list.
If this user only has access to one company, there is no option to switch companies at the top of the page. They will be automatically logged in to only that company.
Resending and Cancelling User Invitations
When a user’s invitation is still pending, meaning, they have not yet completed their own user sign-up process, you may either resend the invitation or cancel the user invitation.
- From the Manage Users page, click the Edit icon at the end of the row.
- At the top of the page, click either “Resend Invite” or “Cancel Invite.”
If you cancel a user invitation, the link in the user’s email invitation becomes invalid, and they will not be able to sign up as a user. The user will be removed from your “Manage Users” list.
There are some pages that you will be able to allow or restrict based on the permissions you have given to a new user. The permission type can be selected to be the same for all companies or different for each company.
Permissions added users can be granted:
- Manage Company Info – Edit Company information
- Payment Settings – Edit billing and bank account information and direct deposit settings
- Manage Companies – Create new companies under the umbrella
- Manage Users – Create new users and give them permissions
- Partner Center – Manage Partner Program functions
Added users can perform all of the same payroll tasks as the original user.
For companies that have Accounting Premium, you can set further Accounting user permissions for each user. For details, see Accounting Premium Customers: Setting User Permissions in Patriot Software.
There are some restrictions when more than one user is working on the same page at the same time, such as running a payroll or editing information, that will prevent a user from continuing. This is a safety feature that will lock out a user until the first user has completed the task. In this case, the user will see a message that this page is currently in use.
Inactivating a User
If you no longer wish to grant a user access to Patriot Software, on the Manage Users page, click the Edit icon at the end of that user’s row.
- Change the Status from Active to Inactive.
- Click “Update User.”
- If Google SSO was used, it will be deactivated from the user account.
You can toggle the “Show Inactives” switch at the top of the list to either include or exclude the inactive users.