Adding and Managing Multiple Users & Permissions
You can add users to your Patriot Software account for both accounting and payroll. While you can limit some company-level administrative tasks from these added users, they can access all other pages for payroll tasks and all accounting tasks unless you have Accounting Premium.
If you are a Partner with Patriot and manage users to access your client companies, see Partners: Managing Multiple Users for your Clients in Patriot.
How to add and manage users and permissions
- Go to Settings > User Settings > Manage Users
- If you haven’t added any users, only you as the original user and administrator will appear in your list
- Click “Add New”
- Enter the email address for the new user. Patriot will email an invitation for this new user to register.
- Choose which overall company permissions you would like the user to access. You can choose the following:
- Manage Company Info – This allows the user to view and edit the company name, address, and main point of contact.
- Payment Settings – This allows the user to view and edit your company bank account for paying taxes and direct deposits, apply/cancel your direct deposit, and your company credit card for monthly payments.
- Manage Users – This allows the user to add more users and manage the user list, including permissions.
- Payroll Permissions – Assign Full access, no access (if you have accounting software also), or payroll reports only.
- Full Access for All Payroll – This allows the user to have full access to employee information and run payrolls
- View Only Payroll Reports – Can view all payroll reports, including some personal identifiable information (PII)
- You can edit these permissions at any time, even after the user has been added. For any permission you restrict, the user will not see the links, or have access to these pages.
- Click “Add User.”
At this point, you will be taken back to the “Manage Users” list. This user’s status will be “Pending” until the user relieves their registration email and completes the sign-up process. While they are pending, you can resend or cancel the invitation.
Admins and other users will log in to the software using login.patriotsoftware.com. Please note when using the time and attendance software or the HR software, you can assign managers and departments and give special permissions to managers to access direct reports’ information and more in their employee portal. See our help article for more info on assigning managers and permissions.
The user will receive an email from Support@PatriotSoftware.com with the subject line, “New User Registration for Patriot Software.”
In the email, the user should click the link to finish their registration. The registration page will open. The user will enter their first and last name, and select their own username and password, or use Google single sign-on if they have an active Google account. For more information please read, “Using Google Single Sign-on.”
Once the user has completed their registration, they can now log in and access your Patriot account.
Accounting User Permissions
If you have Accounting Premium, you can set further restrictions for each user. For details, see Accounting Premium Customers: Setting User Permissions
Same-Page User Restrictions
There are some restrictions when more than one user is working on the same page at the same time, such as running a payroll or editing information, that will prevent a user from continuing. This is a safety feature that will lock out a user until the first user has completed the task. In this case, the user will see a message that this page is currently in use.
Resending and Cancelling User Invitations
When a user’s invitation is still pending, meaning, they have not yet completed their own user sign-up process, you may either resend the invitation or cancel the user invitation.
From the Manage Users page, click the Edit icon at the end of the row.
At the top of the page, click either “Resend Invite” or “Cancel Invite.”
If you cancel a user invitation, the link in the user’s email invitation becomes invalid, and they will not be able to sign up as a user. The user will be removed from your “Manage Users” list.
Inactivating a User
If you no longer wish to grant a user access to Patriot Software, on the Manage Users page, click the Edit icon at the end of that user’s row.
- Change the Status from Active to Inactive.
- Click “Update User.”
- Any credentials using Google Single Sign-on (SSO) will be disconnected.
You can toggle the “Show Inactives” switch at the top of the list to either include or exclude the inactive users.
How to Change the Administrator on the Account
ONLY the admin of the account can change information on the admin account to another person. You will need to contact support if you do not have access to the admin account.
By default, the administrator of the account is set to the person who signed up for Patriot and is the main contact on the account.
If you need to change the administrator on the account, the current admin will need to change the contact name on the account.
Step 1: Go to Settings > Company Settings > Company Info. Click “Edit”. Update the first name, last name, and email address as needed.
Be sure to check the box “Update my user email” to recover and update the username and password.
Step 2: Next, go to Settings> Company Settings > Manage Users. Click edit to change the information of the current admin on the account to the new admin’s information. Click Save
Step 3: Go to Settings> User Settings> Manage Login Info > Tab to Change Multifactor Authentication. Change the multifactor recovery to the new admin email or cell phone number and write down the “recovery code backup.” Click Save. You will be logged out and must log back in with the recovery code backup.
Step 4: Create a temporary password: Go to Settings> Company Settings> Manage Login Information> Change Password tab. Change your current passwords with a temporary password for the new admin. Click Save.
Step 5: Change username: Go to Settings> Company Settings > Manage Login Information > Change Username tab. Create a new username for the new admin. You will need also to enter the NEW password created in Step 4. Click Save.
Step 6: Change email address: Ensure the email has been updated from the email change in Step 1. If it is not updated, change the email address to the new admin. You will need the NEW password from Step 4 to update the email recovery. Click Save.
Your feedback will not receive a reply. If you have a specific issue, please reach out to our support team here.