Adding and Managing Multiple Users in Patriot
You can add users to your Patriot Software account for both accounting and payroll. While you can limit some company-level administrative tasks from these added users, they will be able to access all other pages for payroll tasks and all accounting tasks unless you have Accounting Premium.
If you are an Advisor with Patriot and manage users to access your client companies, see Advisors: Managing Multiple Users for your Clients in Patriot.
How to add and manage users in Patriot
- Go to Settings> User Settings> Manage Users
- If you haven’t added any users, only you as the original user and administrator will appear in your list
- Click “Add New”
- Enter the email address for the new user. Patriot will email an invitation for this new user to register.
- Choose which overall company permissions you would like the user to access. You can choose the following:
- Manage Company Info – This allows the user to view and edit company name, address, and the main point of contact.
- Payment Settings – This allows the user to view and edit your company bank account for paying taxes and direct deposits, apply/cancel your direct deposit, and your company credit card for monthly payments.
- Manage Users – This allows the user to add more users and manage the user list, including permissions.
- You can edit these permissions at any time, even after the user has been added. For any permission you restrict, the user will not see the links, or have access to these pages.
- Click “Add User”
At this point, you will be taken back to the “Manage Users” list. This user’s status will be “Pending” until the user relieves their registration email and completes the sign-up process. While they are pending, you can resend or cancel the invitation.
The user will receive an email from Support@PatriotSoftware.com with the subject line, “New User Registration for Patriot Software.”
In the email, the user should click the link to finish their registration. The registration page will open. The user will enter their first and last name, and select their own username and password, or use Google single sign-on if they have an active google account. For more information please read, “Using Google Single Sign-on.”
Once the user has completed their registration, they can now log in and access your Patriot account.
Added users can perform all of the same payroll tasks as the original user. If you have Accounting Premium, you can set further restrictions for each user. For details, see Accounting Premium Customers: Setting User Permissions in Patriot Software.
There are some restrictions when more than one user is working on the same page at the same time, such as running a payroll or editing information, that will prevent a user from continuing. This is a safety feature that will lock out a user until the first user has completed the task. In this case, the user will see a message that this page is currently in use.
Resending and Cancelling User Invitations
When a user’s invitation is still pending, meaning, they have not yet completed their own user sign-up process, you may either resend the invitation or cancel the user invitation.
From the Manage Users page, click the Edit icon at the end of the row.
At the top of the page, click either “Resend Invite” or “Cancel Invite.”
If you cancel a user invitation, the link in the user’s email invitation becomes invalid, and they will not be able to sign up as a user. The user will be removed from your “Manage Users” list.
Inactivating a User
If you no longer wish to grant a user access to Patriot Software, on the Manage Users page, click the Edit icon at the end of that user’s row.
- Change the Status from Active to Inactive.
- Click “Update User.”
- Any credentials using Google Single Sign-on (SSO) will be disconnected.
You can toggle the “Show Inactives” switch at the top of the list to either include or exclude the inactive users.
How to change the administrator on the account
By default, the administrator of the account is set to the person who signed up for Patriot and is the main contact on the account. If you need to change the administrator on the account, you’ll need to change the contact name on the account. Go to Settings > Company Settings > Company Info. Click “Edit”. Update the first name, last name and email address as needed. Be sure to check the box “Update my user email” to recover and update the username and password also.
Before logging in