Hour Codes are types of hours paid to employees. Examples are Regular, Overtime, Doubletime, Vacation, Holiday, Sick, Jury Duty, and Bereavement.
As you set up your company in the wizard, you can customize your list of Hour Codes, depending on how your company uses them, delete any that you do not use, and add an unlimited number of new ones. The Hours are listed alphabetically by description. Click the star to mark the code as “Frequently Used.” Frequently used Hour Codes will always appear on your Payroll Worksheet when you pay your employees.
To administer your Hour Codes after you have completed the wizard:
- Payroll > Settings > Payroll Settings > Hours & Money Codes. You can click or unclick the Frequently Used star right from this list without editing a code.
To add a new Hour Code:
- Click the Add New link. A set of blank fields will appear.
- Name: Create a long-word description for the hour code that appears on paychecks and in reports throughout the system. Can be up to 20 characters.
- Is this a frequently used hour code? Click the star to always show this code when you run a payroll.
- Rate Multiplier: This is the factor multiplied by the pay rate to calculate earnings. In most cases, the factor stays at 1.0, meaning that the earnings equal the pay rate x 1.0. Examples of other factors would be 1.5 for Overtime and 2.0 for Doubletime. If you want to track unpaid hours, set the Default Rate Factor to 0.
- Non-Worked Hours: If this hour code is used to track hours that are paid, but not worked, such as vacation, holiday, sick time, paid time off, etc., check the box. Some states have taxes that calculate based only on worked hours, and this field allows these taxes to calculate correctly.
- Include on Time Card: This field only appears if you have Time & Attendance. Check the box to include this hour code on employee time cards.
- Track Time Off: If you want to use this hour code to track allowed, taken, and available hours balances such as vacation or sick leave, check this box. For more information, see Setting Up Time-Off Hours.
- Click Save or Cancel.
To edit an existing Hour Code:
- Click the Edit link in the row of the Hour Code you want to edit.
- Keep the “Active?” box checked to use this hours code on the Payroll Entry Sheet. If you uncheck this box, this code will not appear on the Payroll Entry Sheet, but will be available for viewing.
- Make your changes, and click either Save or Cancel.
To delete an existing Hour Code:
- An Hour Code can only be deleted if it has not yet been used in a payroll. Click the Delete trashcan icon in the row of the Hour Code. If you do not see a Delete trashcan icon in that row, this means the Hour code has been used in a payroll and cannot be deleted.
- Click either OK or cancel.