Georgia Employee Tax Withholding Help
Background on Form G-4
When you pay employees in Georgia, you will need to set up their tax allowances as they indicated on their Georgia withholding form. For more information and complete instructions on how to fill out the State of Georgia Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate , see page two of the official State of Georgia Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate.
How To Set Up Georgia Employee Taxes in Patriot Software
When you set up tax allowances for employees in Georgia, there are five State Filing Options that need to be entered for each employee. Here is an explanation of these fields for the state of Georgia:
For new customers adding employees in the wizard, this is found under the Tax Information page for the employee, under the “State Withholding” section.
For employees you add after you complete the wizard, go to Payroll > Employees > Employee List > Click the Employee Name > Taxes > Edit
These fields are under the “State and Local Withholding” section.
- Filing Status: Enter the filing status A, B, C, D, or E.
A = Single: can take 0 or 1 allowance
B = Married Filing Jointly, both spouses working: can take 0, 1, or 2 allowances
C = Married Filing Jointly, one spouse working: can take 0, 1, or 2 allowances
D = Married Filing Separate: can take 0, 1, or 2 allowances
E = Head of Household: can take 0, 1, or 2 allowances
- Personal Allowances: Enter the total number of personal allowances based on the employee’s Filing Status above.
- Total Allowances: Add the total of all allowances together (Personal + Dependent + Additional).
- Dependent Allowances: Enter the number of dependent allowances the employee is entitled to claim.
- Additional Allowances: The employee can refer to the worksheet on the State of Georgia Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate to calculate if any additional allowances can be taken.