Issuing a Credit to Your Customer
Background: Issuing Customer Credits
There may be times when you need to issue a credit to your customer. This could be due to returning items they purchased from you, or other miscellaneous refunds you want to give. In Patriot Software, you can issue a credit for your customer and apply this credit to future invoices.
To issue a credit to your customer in Patriot Software
- Accounting > Customer Tasks > Create Credit
- Select the customer
- The date will default to today. Change the date, if needed.
- The credit memo number will automatically show the next available number since your last credit. You can change this, if needed.
- If you have created departments, select a department to record this credit. For more details, see Managing Accounting Departments.
- Select the product or service you want to apply the credit memo to. To add an item to the list, see Setting Up Products and Services.
- Enter the quantity, if applicable
- Enter the dollar amount of the credit.
- Select the account this credit should be recorded under.
- Add an optional description.
- To add another credit, click the “Add Row” link and repeat the above steps.
- Add any optional Credit Comments.
- Click “Save Credit.”
Once you have created the credit, it will appear in the customer’s Credits tab on their record. A credit can have the status of either Open or Applied. When a credit is Open, it is available to be applied to any of that customer’s invoice. When a credit is Applied, it has already been used, and no longer available.
Now that you have created a credit for a customer, you can now apply it to your customer’s invoices. See Applying Credits to Customer Invoices.
You can also email a notification of the credit to your customer. See How to Email an Invoice or Credit to Your Customers.
You can also void or delete a customer credit, if needed. See Voiding a Customer Credit.
Your feedback will not receive a reply. If you have a specific issue, please reach out to our support team here.