Setting Up Credit Card Payments for Invoicing Customers
As an Accounting customer, you can offer payment of your customer invoices by credit card. Patriot Software has partnered with Stripe, a third-party payment processor, to provide you and your customers with a seamless payment experience.
Patriot Software does not charge any fees to accept credit card payments or to integrate with our payment processing partners. However, Stripe does have a “per transaction” fee schedule based on the credit card type. They will bill you separately from Patriot Software.
Clover Connect – sunsetting January 1, 2024
Attention customers who use Clover Connect: We will stop integrating with Clover Connect by January 1, 2024, which means you will not be able to add a Clover Connect link for credit card payments on invoices. If you have questions about an existing merchant account, you can reach Clover Connect Support directly at 877-828-0720. Please get in touch with Clover Connect should you choose to cancel your account with them. As a reminder, Clover Connect will charge accounts a monthly fee of $20 if you are not PCI compliant whether you are using it or not.
Applying for a Stripe Account
To accept credit card payments via Stripe in Patriot’s Accounting Software:
- Go to Settings > Accounting Settings > Transaction Settings > Payment Processor.
- Click the button to “Apply for Strip”, or “Learn More”
Questions about Stripe?
- For general questions about Stripe please use Stripe’s Support Center.
- For questions about setting up a new account with Stripe, see New Account approval process.
- For a list of restricted businesses, see: Stripe’s restricted businesses
- For questions about disconnecting Stripe from another platform to connect it to Patriot, see: Disconnect your Stripe account from a third-party platform.
Finish Your Credit Card Settings in Patriot Software
After your account with Stripe is active, you must finish your credit card payment settings here in Patriot Software.
Go back to Settings > Accounting Settings > Transaction Settings > Payment Processor.
Keep the Accept Credit Card Payments set to “Enabled.” You can disable this later if you want to stop accepting credit cards.
You’ll complete these settings:
- Automatically add credit card payment link to all emailed invoices? When you mark this “Yes,” this option will be pre-filled to “Yes” when you email each invoice. If you don’t want to show the credit card payment link on an individual invoice, you can change this to “No” on an individual invoice. You can also do the reverse and mark this “No” here on Transaction Settings, but change it to “Yes” in individual invoice emails as needed.
- Receive notifications of successful credit card payments? If you want to receive an email from Patriot each time a customer successfully pays an invoice with a credit card, mark “Yes.”
- Recording Credit Card Transactions – Choose the asset account to record credit card payments. When a customer has paid an invoice with a credit card, Patriot will automatically record the invoice payment for you.
Why isn’t the amount paid by Stripe the same as the invoiced amount?
Remember that Stripe will send the customer payment amount LESS $0.30 + 2.9% to your bank account.
You should always check with your accountant if you have any questions about setting up your chart of accounts or allocating Stripe credit card payments in your accounting software.
You are now all set to start receiving credit card payments when you email your customer invoices. For more details, see the help article Accepting Credit Card Payments on Customer Invoices.
Your feedback will not receive a reply. If you have a specific issue, please reach out to our support team here.