Setting Your Recurring Invoices
As an Accounting Premium customer in Patriot Software, you can set up recurring invoices to be automatically created and emailed to your customers at a set frequency of time, either weekly, monthly, or annually. This is helpful when you regularly invoice your customers for the same products and services.
To Set Up Recurring Invoices
Your customer must also have at least one email address on their record in order to send the invoice emails. If the customer has no email, the invoices will be automatically created, but not emailed. If you have added more than one email address on the customer record, the reminder email will automatically be sent to all email addresses on their record.
Go to Accounting > Your Company > Invoices
You can create a recurring invoice two ways:
- Find the invoice you want to set up as recurring and click the Action icon at the end of the row. Choose “Create Recurring.”
- You can also create a recurring invoice from the Invoice Detail page.
Select a Start Date. The recurring schedule will be set from this date. The earliest date you can select is tomorrow, as this is when the automatic task will begin.
Choose how often you want this invoice created and emailed. Note the customer must have an email address on their record in order for Patriot to email their invoices.
- Weekly: Choose a day of the week
- Monthly: The invoice will be created and emailed on same day of each month as the start date. Note if the Start Date is either the 29th, 30th, or 31st, invoices will not be created and sent in months that do not have those days. This affects February, April, June, September, and November.
- Last Day of the Month: The invoice will be created and sent whenever the last of the month falls. For example, the invoice would be created and sent on February 28th (for non-leap years), April 30th, May 31st, etc.
- Yearly: The invoice will be sent yearly on the same month and day as the Start Date.
Choose the Repeat Schedule:
- Until Specific Date: Select the date you want the recurring invoice cycle to end.
- Until Number of Invoices Created: Enter the number of total invoices to be created. The recurring cycle will stop when the total number of invoices has been reached.
- Forever: The recurring invoices will continue indefinitely until you stop them.
To Manage Recurring Invoices
View All Recurring Invoices
Go to Settings > Accounting Settings > Recurring Invoices
All of your scheduled recurring invoices will display.
- To edit the schedule for creating and emailing an invoice, click “Edit Schedule.” Note, if you have chosen “Until Number of Invoices Created,” you will see only the remaining number of invoices. This number may be smaller than when you first created the schedule.
- To edit the content of an invoice template, such as changing the products or pricing, click “Edit Template.”
- To immediately stop a recurring invoice, uncheck the “Active” box.
View Individual Recurring Invoice Activity History
As recurring invoices are created, you will see them in your Invoices list. When you view the details of a particular recurring invoice, an entry will appear in the Invoice Status History showing when the recurring invoice was first “Saved” then “Emailed.”