Editing My Federal Tax Withholding
If you are an employee and have any questions about your paychecks, W-2s, or using the employee portal, please contact your employer. Patriot Support staff cannot answer your questions via chat, email, or phone. We can only speak with authorized company contacts.
You can view and make changes to your federal tax withholding in your employee portal.
From the main page, click “Federal Tax.” You can view your federal tax settings and history of previous W-4 updates. When you edit your tax settings, you will be completing an electronic version of the paper W-4 form.
To Edit Your Federal Tax Withholding
1. Click the Edit link. You can view the full Form W-4 certificate, which includes instructions and worksheets. You will see the following fields:
Filing Status: This is your federal filing status as listed in Step 1(c) of the W-4 form.
Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works: If you hold more than one job at a time or are married filing jointly and your spouse works, check this box. Be sure to refer to Step 2 of the W-4 form for full instructions.
Claim Dependents: Depending on how many dependents you have, enter the total amount from Step 3 of Form W-4.
Other Income: If you want tax withheld for other income you expect this year that won’t have withholding, enter the amount of other income from Step 4(a) of Form W-4.
Deductions: If you expect to claim deductions other than the standard deduction and want to reduce your withholding, enter the number of deductions from Step 4(b) of the W-4.
Extra Withholding: Enter any additional tax you want to withhold each pay period.
Exempt from Federal Tax: Most people are not exempt from federal tax. Only check this box if both of these apply:
- You had no income tax liability last year.
- This year you expect to have no tax liability.
For more information, including a chart to help you decide whether you are exempt from federal tax, see IRS Publication 505.
2. Click Save. By clicking Save, you are electronically signing your W-4 form.
- When you save changes to the W-4, your employer will receive an automatic email notification that you have made changes.
- These changes will automatically update the payroll system. They will be in effect the next time your employer runs a payroll.
*At this time, you cannot change local or state income taxes in your portal. Please contact your employer with any updates.