As a new customer in the wizard, you will add employees after you have set up your company-level information.
To add a new employee after you complete the wizard, go to Payroll > Employees > Add Employee. A blank set of fields will appear for you to complete.
Complete the Personal Information section.
All fields marked with a red asterisk are required.
- Enter the employee’s full Name as it appears on their W-4 form, mailing address, and Social Security number (no dashes).
- If your business has more than one location, enter the work location for this employee.
- Optional fields: Enter a middle name, phone numbers, email, hire date, birthday, and gender. Note that the hire date may be required in some states.
Complete the Payroll Information section.
Pay Frequency: The company’s default pay frequency (e.g. weekly, biweekly) is automatically shown. If the employee’s pay frequency differs from the company default, select a different one.
Pay Type: Select the Pay Type from the drop-down list, which determines the unit of pay for the employee: Hourly, Salary, or Salary Non-Exempt. For more details about these three Pay Types, see Employee Pay Types in Patriot Software.
Pay Rate Type: If this employee is Salary or Salary Non-Exempt, choose to enter either an annual pay rate or per pay period.
Pay Rate: If you select Hourly, enter the hourly pay rate (e.g. 14.75).
For Salary or Salary Non-Exempt, enter either the annual salary or the pay rate per pay period (e.g. 1500.00 without commas).
- If you are entering a pay period rate, you should take the annual salary and divide by the number of pay periods for the year: Weekly = 52, Biweekly = 26, Semimonthly = 24, Monthly = 12. The calculated annual amount will be shown, based on your pay frequency.
- If you are entering an annual pay rate, the calculated amount per pay period will be shown, based on your pay frequency. This rate will be used when running payrolls.
Time & Attendance Information:
If you are a Patriot TIME customer, select the method of time entry for your employee. Choose “Manual” if this employee can enter their time worked at any time during the day. Chose “Time Punch” if this employee will be “punching” in and out in real time as it happens. For more information, see Using the Time Punch Feature.
Click Add Employee.
You have now added the employee’s record, and can enter the rest of the employee’s information.
Click Add Tax Info for This Employee. You must complete the tax withholding on the Taxes Page before running payroll. For more description of each field, see the article Editing Employee Tax Information.
After you have entered and saved their tax information, you will see links to pages at the top of the employee record: Employee Info, Pay Info, Direct Deposit (if applicable), Paychecks, Taxes, Deductions & Contributions, TIME Info (if applicable), HR Info (if applicable), and Employee Portal. To add, edit, or delete this information, click the appropriate link to get to that page, then click Edit.
Pay Info Page: For more information, see the article Editing Employee Pay Information.