Visit our original IRS Tax Notice blog post.
Tax Notice [Slideshare] Script
- Don’t panic: It’s just a tax notice from the IRS!
- Receiving a tax notice from the IRS can be scary.
- But, there are some straightforward steps to take in response to a tax notice.
- First: Don’t panic! Receiving a tax notice doesn’t mean you’re in trouble (seriously).
- There are many reasons the IRS might contact you. Maybe you have a balance due, your return was changed, or your identity needs to be verified.
- In fact, the IRS sends millions of tax notices each year. Resolving a tax notice can be as simple as mailing a document to the IRS.
- Second: Read the tax notice carefully.
- Instructions for responding to the IRS, like: deadlines for a response; who to respond to; and ways to respond are always included in the notice.
- Each tax notice is assigned a unique number. You can search the number on the IRS website to find more details about your tax notice.
- Identify that the tax notice is really from the IRS. The IRS will never contact you through email or social media. Report scams to the IRS here.
- Third: Don’t delay in taking care of your tax notice.
- Address the issue ASAP to avoid missing response deadlines. Penalties for ignoring a tax notice could include a tax lien, or interest on your debt.
- Some tax notices may not require a response. If you agree with a correction on your tax return, you don’t have to respond. But, if you disagree with a correction or owe money to the IRS, you should respond according to the directions on the notice.
- If you can’t respond to the notice (e.g. you can’t pay the amount you owe), consider contacting the: Taxpayer Advocate Service. It’s an independent organization within the IRS that works to resolve tax problems.
- Fourth (and finally): Consider involving a tax professional. If you’re intimidated by the IRS, your tax preparer or CPA can help you.
- Thanks for reading! Find more accounting tips & training at: patriotsoftware.com/accounting/training/blog
- Sarah Lawrence, Owner of Black Sheep Boutique. Patriot PAY Customer Since 2014. Photo Courtesy: Farm Shopping Center
Patriot Software, LLC, offers payroll & accounting software for small business owners across the fifty United States, in all 18,000 tax jurisdictions. Start your free 30-day trial today at: patriotsoftware.com