Payroll Process Step 1 - Payroll Entry
Use the Payroll Entry screen to enter hours and dollars for your employees. (For more information, see Introduction to the Payroll Entry Screen.)
Start a new payroll.
1. Click the Payroll tab.
2. If you use different pay frequencies (such as Weekly and Biweekly), select the pay frequency for this payroll. By default the most frequent pay frequency will display.
3. Enter the period start and end dates. This is the date range of time worked.
4. Enter the pay date. This is the date your employees are scheduled to receive their pay. Note that the pay date must be after the latest of these three dates:
- the date of your company's most recent tax filing (if you are a TaxBeGone customer),
- the date of your company's most recent prior payroll entry, or
- the date your company was set up in Patriot PAY.
5. By default, the payroll includes all scheduled deductions and contributions. To skip deductions or contributions for everyone, click the "Options" link and a list will display. Check off each item to skip for this payroll.
6. If you need to turn off direct deposits to distribute live paper checks, click the "Options" link and check the Turn Off Direct Deposits box.
All active employees will appear on the Payroll Entry screen, grouped by Hourly and Salary. Any employee listed as "inactive" on the Pay Information section of their employee screen will not appear in this list.
If an employee is missing any required information, you'll see a warning message beside their name. You must fill in the missing info before you can pay that person, but you can still run payroll for the rest of your employees.
Enter employee hours and money.
- To pay each hourly employee, enter the number of regular and overtime hours.
- To pay salary employees, the "Pay Salary" box is automatically set to "Yes" and included in the payroll. You can set the "Pay Salary" box to "No" to prevent an employee from receiving their regular pay. You don't have to enter hours worked for salaried employees, but you may choose to for tracking purposes.
- To add other hours or money, such as vacation or a bonus:
1. Click the Add Hours/Money link.
2. In the dropdown list, select the hours or money type.
3. Enter the number of hours or dollars.
4. To add more than one hours or money type for an employee, click Add again.
If you have selected a taxable money type, you have the option to tax the amount at the supplemental tax rate determined by the IRS. For more information, see "How to Tax Supplemental Pay."
Note: All active Hours and Money Types appear in this dropdown list. To change what appears here, go to the Payroll Tab > Payroll Settings > Hours & Money Types and click "Edit" in that Hours or Money Type row, and check or uncheck the Active box.
Click "Save Entries" to save your changes at any time.
To stop the payroll process and finish it later, click Save Entries. If you save this payroll and leave this page, you will see a “Finish Payroll” link on the Payroll tab, reminding you to finish this payroll. You can also click "Clear Entries" to delete all your entries on this page and start over.
Click "Go To Step 2."
Proceed to Step 2 - Approve Payroll.